Frequently asked questions

This FAQ was compiled in an effort to provide quick informational answers to frequent questions only. This is not meant to replace the instructions or information given by any official of Indiana University or Law Enforcement Official.

  • How can I get a copy of my accident report or police report?
    You can obtain copies of traffic accident reports of incident reports by visiting our Department between the hours of 8AM and 4PM, Monday through Friday. We are located at 1469 East 17th Street, Bloomington, IN 47408. There is a nominal charge for copies of traffic accident reports and incident reports.
  • Is alcohol allowed in the dormitories?
    As a general rule, alcohol is not allowed in the dormitories. Several floors across campus do allow alcohol to be kept in the rooms of residents over the age of 21. For more information visit the Division of Residential Programs and Services.
  • Is alcohol allowed at Football games?
    Alcohol is not allowed in any of the Athletic venues of Indiana University.
  • How do I keep my bicycle safe?
    As with any college campus, bicycle theft is a constant problem. There are ways to substantially reduce the chances of your bicycle being stolen.
    1. Record the make, model, and serial number of your bicycle and store it in a safe place.
    2. Save all receipts involving the purchase of your bicycle and equipment.
    3. Register your bicycle with Parking Operations (855-9848). There is a yearly fee of $5 to register your bicycle. Any unregistered vehicle on IU property is subject to ticketing and impoundment by IU Parking Enforcement.
    4. Always lock your bicycle. An unlocked bicycle is a much easier target than one that is properly secured.
    5. Lock your bicycle using a cable and lock as well as a casehardened U-lock.
    6. Lock your bicycle in a well-lit area on a bicycle rack.
    7. Never leave your bicycle totally unlocked, even for a minute.
    8. Report suspicious persons hanging around bicycle racks, call IUPD 855-4111.

    If your bicycle is stolen, report it immediately. The sooner we are aware of the theft, the greater the chances are that we will be able to recover the bicycle. If anyone ever tries to take your bicycle, do not fight with them. Be the best witness that you can and call the IU Police Department immediately, 855-4111 (911 for emergencies).

  • What is the Cadet/Officer program?
    The IU Police Department has developed a comprehensive and unique law enforcement training program which, when coupled with the University's educational programs, produces a highly qualified, experienced, and educated law enforcement professional. The cadet officer program allows full-time Indiana University students to work in a law enforcement agency while pursuing a degree. In addition to gaining law enforcement experience, the student receives accreditation as a state certified law enforcement officer. For more information visit the Cadet Officer Program on Protect.IU.
  • What is a "drinking ticket"?
    A misdemeanor citation which is sometimes called a 'drinking ticket' is an arrest. Although you are not placed into custody and transported to the jail, you are still required to attend the court date listed on the citation to answer to the charges stated on the citation. Failure to appear at the court could result in a warrant being issued for your arrest. Visit the Student Legal Services website for more information on misdemeanors and other legal questions.
  • How can I make a complaint against an Officer?
    All formal complaints against an Officer of the Indiana University Police Department must be made in person. The Shift Sergeant on duty will meet with you and explain the procedures and instruct you on filling out the necessary forms. After the necessary forms are completed and signed, the Officer will be given an opportunity to provide a written response to the allegations. Supervisory personnel will then review the allegations and the written response by the Officer then recommend any appropriate actions that should be taken.
  • Can I get in trouble for just being in the same room as drugs?
    Although all circumstances are different, you can and often times will be arrested if you knowingly or intentionally visit a building, structure, vehicle, or other place that is used by any person to unlawfully use a controlled substance ( IC 35-48-4-13 ).
  • I need to be fingerprinted. Where can I get this done?
    The IU Police Department does provide this service and it is provided free of charge to those affiliated with Indiana University.

    During the Fall and Spring school session you can be fingerprinted on Fridays between 9AM-5PM.

    In the Summer, hours will be Fridays from 10 AM to 2 PM

  • Is there a traffic pattern for Football and Basketball games?
    Clearly, the roads around the athletic stadiums were not designed to accommodate the large influx of motor vehicles experienced within the period preceding and following large athletic events. The traffic patterns currently being used have been found to maximize the movement of traffic. Following are a few tips that can lessen the frustration experienced by the traffic patterns: arrive early and avoid the traffic, know exactly where you plan to park ahead of time, car pool, follow the directions given by any Police Officer directing traffic, and be patient. For more information visit the IU Athletics website or call the IU Athletics Ticket Office at (800) 447-GOIU or (800) 855-4006.
  • What can I do about harassing and obscene telephone calls?
    Annoying or harassing phone calls, as well as electronic mail messages, are a common problem on college campuses. They are many times viewed as mere pranks. State law and the Indiana University Police Department consider it to be Harassment by Communication, a Class B Misdemeanor offense.

    The Indiana Criminal Code considers the following to be Harassment by Communication:

    • A person who, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm another person, but with no intent of legitimate communication:
      • Makes a telephone call, whether or not a conversation ensues;
      • Communicates with a person anonymously or otherwise;
      • Transmits a false or obscene message.

    Harassment by Communication is punishable by imprisonment of up to 180 days, and a fine of up to $1,000.

    The following suggestions and notes are given for dealing with harassing calls:

    • Never engage the caller in conversation.
    • Never answer personal questions or give out information to an unknown caller.
    • Unplug your phone if necessary.
    • The caller often knows the victim.
    • Callers occasionally contact victims randomly.

    What should you do?

    If you receive an annoying, harassing, threatening or obscene communication on the IU Campus, you should contact the Indiana University Police Department immediately. The following steps will then be taken if the communication is by phone:

    • An officer will meet with you to discuss the situation and to determine the best course of action to be taken.
    • If the calls are threatening, action will be taken immediately to determine the origin of the threatening calls. You will also be asked to keep a log of your calls which should include information such as the time of each call, description of the caller's voice, background noises, etc.
    • If the calls are annoying, harassing, or obscene, you may be asked to keep a log of your calls for several days.
    • Depending on the situation, you will have these options:
      • If it is determined that no further action can be taken by the IU Police, and you still want to have your phone number changed, IU Police will contact Communication Services and they will change your number at no charge.
      • If additional action is required by the IU Police, an officer will ask you to assist in the prosecution of any person(s) determined to have made the calls.

    If you do not wish to report the incident to the IU Police, but still want your phone number changed, contact IU Communication Services and a $25 fee will be assessed to change your telephone number.

    Harassing telephone calls to your off-campus telephone

    To change your information in the off-campus telephone directory, dial (812) 856-3510 for service. To have a non-listed number (your number is not in the directory, but is available from Information) you will be charged $1.50 a month. To have a non-published number (your number is not available in the directory or from Information) you will be charged $2.85 a month. To initiate a free, two week number change there is no charge. To make that number change permanent the charge is $27. No police report is needed for either number change service. You are advised to not publish your number if you change it. For $9.50 a month you can get Caller ID installed on your phone. This allows you to identify the telephone number of the person who is calling you before answering. It will also log the number, and the frequency and time of day the call was made.

    Personal information withheld from Campus Telephone Listing

    • All registered students are listed in the Indiana University (Bloomington) Student Telephone Directory. All registered campus residents are also listed with the Bloomington campus Call Center (the campus operator). If you would like your name, number, or address withheld from the Student Telephone Directory, you must complete and submit a Student Directory Exclusion Form available at the Office of the Registrar.
    • If you would like your name, number, or address withheld from the Bloomington Campus Call Center, you must submit an Unlisted Telephone Number Request to Residential Programs & Services.
    • UITS-Telecommunications assumes no responsibility for insuring that your name or number is withheld from the Student Telephone Directory or the campus switchboard. To obtain both forms, or for answers to any questions you might have about unlisted numbers, dial "0" and a campus operator will assist you.

    Information presented above taken from the IUPD Harassing Communication & Log.

  • Who is authorized to release police information?
    Contact Lt. Craig Munroe the Department's Public Information Officer. Lt. Munroe is responsible for releasing all information to the media concerning Departmental affairs. He can be contacted at (812) 855-6706.

    There is a Duty Shift Commander working at all times and they can also release blotter/summary information on incidents which the IUPD has responded. Call (812)-855-4111.

  • Where is the jail and how can I get a friend out?
    All persons arrested by the IU Police Department are transported to the Monroe County Jail, 301 North College Ave. Access to the jail is on the West side of the building. Please contact the Monroe County Sheriff's Department for information on the release of any persons from the jail.
  • Where do IU Police Officers have police powers?
    IU Police Officers have jurisdiction on any real property owned or occupied by the University or on any streets through or adjacent thereto. The Department also shares concurrent jurisdiction anywhere in Monroe County through an agreement with the Sheriff of Monroe County (IC 21-39-4-6).
  • Can I appeal an IU parking ticket?
    Information on ticket appeals and IU parking rules and regulations can be found at the Office of Parking Operations.
  • How do I get into the IU Police Academy?
    Generally, only Cadets that have served the department for a period of one year are eligible to be admitted to the IU Police Academy.
  • Are weapons allowed on campus?
    Firearms are not allowed on campus unless you have received written permission from the Chief of Police. Violation of this University Policy will result in application of any relevant Indiana Statutes as well as University sanctions. For additional information consult IU Human Resources the IU Student Code of Conduct.
  • What resources are available for sexual assault victims?
    There are many resources available to victims of sexual assault in the University community. Visit the Stop Sexual Violence site for more information.
  • What should I do if I get stopped by the police?
    If you are stopped remember:
    1. Stay in your car unless the officer advises you otherwise.
    2. Keep your hands on the steering wheel so the officer can see them.
    3. Try to stay calm. Getting agitated with the officer or with others will not help the situation.
    4. Avoid making sudden movements especially toward the floor, rear seat or passenger side of the vehicle.
    5. Do not reach for your license or other documents until the officer requests them. (Indiana law requires drivers to show their license, registration, and insurance card upon request)
    6. If the stop occurs at night, put on your dome/interior lights so the officer can easily see that all is in order.
    7. If the officer issues you a ticket for reasons that are unclear to you, ask the officer for information, but don't become argumentative or antagonistic. Accepting a traffic ticket is not an admission of guilt. You can contest the ticket in court.
    8. Patrol cars are often staffed by only one officer. However, given the inherent dangers of traffic stops, officers almost always have backups when stopping a vehicle. Therefore you might see two or three police vehicles involved in a traffic stop.
    9. Some offenses prohibit continued operation of the vehicle by the driver. Therefore, in certain situations, an officer may impound a car or ask another licensed driver to drive the car. Officers may not, however, take your car without due cause.
    10. Remember that students are required to cooperate with the valid directives of University officials, including University police officers. Failure to do so may result in judicial charges (see Rules of Student Conduct ). In addition Indiana State law forbids a person to use physical force to resist an arrest, even if the arrest is later found to be unauthorized.
  • Why was I stopped by the police?
    Some of the common reasons that people are stopped by police include:
    • You may have committed a traffic offense.
    • You may fit the description of someone whom the police are seeking.
    • The officer may think you are in trouble and in need of help.
    • You may have witnessed a crime and the police may seek your assistance in identifying a person involved.

    If you are stopped by the police, you should make every effort to be cooperative, and you can expect the officer to be courteous in return.

    Our officers know that most people do not want to be stopped by the police, and they understand that you may feel some degree of anxiety if you are stopped. Keep in mind however, the officer who stops you may be feeling a high level of anxiety too. Because even seemingly “routine” traffic stops can be dangerous situations for officers, the police are trained to approach them with extreme caution.

  • Where can I find information about suspicious mail?
    Suspicious packages, bomb threats and other unusual activities are not unusual or uncommon events on college campuses across the United States. These incidents have occurred all too frequently during demonstrations and times of civil unrest.

    If for any reason a person feels uncomfortable in evaluating suspicious packages or letters they should contact their local police who will make a risk assessment. During these times of increased awareness our actions should be driven by common sense and rational thinking, not by paranoia and hysteria.

  • My car was towed. How can I get it back?
    Please call the IU Police Department at 812-855-4111 and advise the dispatcher of your name and vehicle description. The dispatcher will be able to tell you the location of your vehicle and what will be needed to get your vehicle released.
  • How much does a traffic ticket cost?
    It depends on the violation. Fines are set by the Monroe County Clerk's Office and are updated periodically. You should contact the Monroe County Clerk's Office for the definitive answer, (812) 349-2602. You may also refer to the Monroe County Clerk's web page by clicking Monroe County Clerk.
  • How do I contest a traffic ticket?
    The Monroe County Clerk's Office handles all traffic citations and their scheduling. Please contact them for any information regarding the appeals process. You should contact the Monroe County Clerk's Office for the definitive answer at (812) 349-2602.
  • Where can I pay a traffic ticket?
    Traffic fines can be paid at the Monroe County Clerk's Office in the Justice Building at 301 North College Ave.
  • Why is skateboarding not allowed on campus?
    Skateboarding is not allowed on campus due to the damage frequently caused as skateboarders perform "tricks" on the permanent fixtures of the campus including but not limited to steps, planters, handrails, and retaining walls.
    If you are caught skateboarding on campus in a manner consistent with the high probability of damage being incurred upon the permanent fixtures of the university, you will formally be advised of the policy and then advised of Trespass. If you are caught skateboarding in the above proscribed manner again, after having been advised of Trespass, you could be arrested for Trespass (IC 35-43-2-2).